Commuter bus between Dixfield and Sunday River runs 7-days-a-week, from 12/2/2019 through 3/17/2020 dependent on end-of-season conditions.
If you’re working at the Mountain, let us be your ride!
Download a printable PDF Mountain Express schedule HERE
(Note: PDF may download and not open automatically, depending on your browser settings.)
Click or tap on any panel below for a larger image
Download a printable PDF Mountain Explorer schedule HERE
(Note: PDF may download and not open automatically, depending on your browser settings. If you want to print the schedule, please specify the “landscape” print option.)
Mountain Explorer Schedule 2019-2020 Season
Daily Service Dec 26 – April 5
NOTE: Sunday, April 5th service ends at 5:00 PM
NOTE: THIS SCHEDULE IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE AND MAY BE AFFECTED BY ROAD AND WEATHER CONDITIONS
ADDITIONAL FLAG STOPS…not listed on the maps, may be added at the discretion of the Mountain Explorer based on safety and rider requirements
Service is subject to change without notice.
- All times are cell-phone based
- All times listed are for departures
- Bus may run later than scheduled
- Boarding is on a first-come-first-served basis
- Seatbelt/child seat use is required by law
- Belt extenders are available
- No standing permitted while bus is under way
- Please allow riders off the bus before boarding
- Tell the driver at which stop you will exit the bus
- Be ready to exit before the bus arrives at your stop
- No open food or beverages, smoking, or vaping
- No weapons or dangerous goods
- Electronics must not bother other riders
- No offensive video or images allowed
- No abusive/obscene language
- No lewd gestures or uncivil behavior
- Packages must be carried on in one trip
- Packages must be secured at the rider’s seat
- Packages may not be left on the bus
- Only trained service animals under control of the rider, or small pets in carriers, are permitted
- Oxygen tanks and concentrators must be safely secured to users or mobility devices
- For more information, advance reservations or assistance with travel planning, please contact customer service prior to your trip.
Flex-Route & Bethel Airport Service
AIRPORT AND FLEX-ROUTE SERVICE EXPLAINED… For Bethel Airport pick-up, Flex-Route reservation, or group arrangements please call 207-330-3304 as far in advance as possible of your desired trip.
The Mountain Explorer can be your FREE local ride to, or from, any destination within 3/4 mile of the scheduled route, on public roads, during normal operating hours, if it is considered safe by the operator. The time of your pick-up will be between the times of scheduled stops on either side of your location.
You can use the Mountain Explorer for more than going to the mountain…you can ride to work, restaurants and pubs, shopping, banks, local hair, healthcare, dental or eye appointments, or almost anywhere in-town, FREE!
Ability to serve any location is based on safety, ability to turn the bus around, and that it must be on a public road. Service is at the discretion of the operator. The green outline below shows the approximate flex-route boundaries.
Service is provided only during normal hours of operation and may require riders to be on the bus for an extended period of time depending on pick-up and drop-off locations.
- If a disability prevents you from accessing a Mountain Explorer bus stop, please call 800-393-9335 selection 2, from 9 AM to 5 PM Mon-Sat, at least 24 hours in-advance, to arrange for at-curb pick up within 3/4 mile of the route on publicly-maintained roads.
- Mountain Explorer buses are wheelchair lift-equipped and can carry up to 2 riders in wheelchairs. Please note combined weights of some wheelchairs may exceed lift manufacturer’s safety limits.
- Trained service animals under control of the rider or small pets in carriers are permitted.
- Oxygen tanks and concentrators must be safely secured to users or their wheelchairs.
ABOUT THE MOUNTAIN EXPLORER:
The Mountain Explorer was founded in 2000 and is open to the public to provide safe, free, more environmentally-friendly transportation for residents and winter visitors, and a reliable designated driver option. The Mountain Explorer is operated by Western Maine Transportation Services and supported by the towns of Bethel and Newry, the Federal Transit Administration, Maine Department of Transportation, Sunday River, Gould Academy, The Bethel Inn Resort, local businesses, associations and other sponsors listed on this schedule.
Follow the Mountain Explorer on Twitter at MtnExBus for delays or service changes due to weather, special events and other circumstances.
Like us on Facebook at Mountain Explorer Free Shuttle Bus